Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The quest....

a story in 3 parts...

Part 1
Since my arrival here at Suncreek 3 months ago, I have been asked to steer the ship. There has been great freedom and support in taking the ship wherever I want it to go. Church folks would call this casting a vision. I have not really done that, because I have been in an assessment and discernment mode. I have been trying to put my pulse on what is needed and what things we need to do great. There are a lot of things that are working here very well, and some that are in need of some tweaking, and even some that need a major overhaul.

Part 2
I am reading 2 books right now - both about very different things, but have led to my conclusion (that is part 3, don't read ahead). The first book is by Laura Penny titled "Your call is Important to US". In it, she looks at the huge piles of "bovine feces" that we are fed everyday. And it is her contention at a few points in the book, that the church is guilty of this as well. The other book is "Practicing Passion" by Kenda Creasy Dean. I am just starting this book, but so far it is a powerful testament and a call to action about the power and passion that is bottled up inside of teenagers. Maybe reading these books together has led me to this conclusion...

Part 3
What Suncreek UMC Youth Group need is a quest. So today, I am proud to announce phase I of my vision - A QUEST FOR AUTHENTIC COMMUNITY. A community that supports each other, prays for each other, laughs and cries with each other. A community that works together, worships together, learns together, studies together, and grows in the faith together. A community that "outsiders" will look at, see the 'real' in the group, want to join, and then be welcomed into the community.

Now HOW is the next big question....that will take some time and prayer. In the meantime, lets all do our part and start living more authentically.

No comments: